Is this Goodbye?


Is it time to say goodbye to breastfeeding already? I had been going through a mental struggle between stopping and continuing for the longest time. I believe I am not the only one feeling torn while making this decision. After all, the feeling is sweet. Cradling her in your arms and watching her suckle. She would sometimes return your gaze and give you a smile. Other times, you watch her drift into sleep and let go of you so every gently. The warmth of our bodies comfort each other and the bond we share is indescribable. These are the reasons that makes me question myself whenever I think of quitting breastfeeding.

So then, what motivates me to wean her off?

1. Sleep Deprivation 
I wake twice to thrice every night [till today at 22 months old] to soothe Faye back to sleep. Whenever she cries, I'll walk over to her room and present her my boobs on a silver platter. After my experience with Ewan, I decided to do away with the Cry It Out [CIO] method because I'd rather create Love than Anxiety at home. Personal opinions: leaving them to CIO makes them feel scared and rejected. They've been in the comfort of a tight and dark womb for 40 weeks. A sudden change in environment and feeding habits can be daunting. A cry for hunger or even for sheer comfort, should be attended to by a loving pair or hands. Security is key.

With that, I decided to nurse Faye for as long as she wants. With that, I am willing to sacrifice my sleep for her.

Unfortunately, I fell ill. With insufficient sleep, I am breaking apart from the impending shifting of house project and still making sure that the children have their fair share of fun every day. If I wore the fitbit, it'd probably tell me I have only three full hours of sleep every night. Interrupted rest is no joke at all and I know if we stopped breastfeeding, she would also stop waking up so many times a night. Faye is turning two next month. She definitely possess the capacity to understand, to self-soothe and to start drinking milk from the cup. Right?

I deserve some good night's rest to conquer the days better with the family. When moms fall ill, everyone's daily schedule will fall out of place as well. Ewan was weaned at 13 months old because he kept waking up at night and I just needed us to sleep through. After that, every one at home had a good night's rest.


2. Stiff Neck
In recent months, I've been getting the worst body aches ever. Not to mention, I get a stiff neck every month now. It is a huge hindrance this stiff neck? When it gets really bad, I couldn't even get out of bed without help not to mention accomplish daily chores with ease. It is the cause of bad sleeping posture and how did that happen? With practice, Faye and I learnt to nurse lying down in bed. This should be the most relaxing way to nurse but how did it end up so destructive?

When Faye latches in the middle of the night, she do not usually lets go. When that happens, I'd fall into deep sleep with her only to find myself in the same position three hours later. So there. TCM and acupuncture helps my neck and shoulder muscles get back in shape in the shortest healing time.  I'd walk around town with a big medicinal patch at the back of my neck smelling all so Aunty. However, it comes back again and again because I never found time to exercise nor make the effort to sleep correctly.

Not only do I have sleep deprivation, I believe she has it too since she wakes up so many times a night?


3. Dependency
Not only do I provide her the milk feed she needs, I have become her pacifier. When she falls and knocks her head, she needs to be comforted through suckling. When her brother provokes her enough to make her cry, she needs to be comforted through suckling. When she is tired, she needs to be comforted through suckling. She cannot live without me and so I bring her everywhere I go even on holiday trips with my girlfriends. She is self-sustainable in school and it doesn't seem like she will go into withdrawal syndromes when I'm not there. So really, it is all dependency.

This is a bad habit I wish I can help her kick.


So we started this weaning programme yesterday at nap time. I do not want to go into details about how much she cried but she screamed the day away. We've successfully went through 17 gruelling hours without latching. Every time I see her pitiful face and her tearful pleas [she actually cried, "Please" repeatedly], I had the urge to give in. I questioned my decision every time and I am sure I'd be questioning myself later as well. Then I told myself,

"She has already cried so much. Do not let her cry in vain. I've started this and there is no turning back."


There is a love-hate relationship between breastfeeding and I. As much as I love being so close to Faye, knowing that I am still able to provide for her in a special way that only she and I can understand, I wanted us to be "Free". I admit that I want to stop wearing button-down shirts and nursing clothes when we go out because I miss my nice dresses too!

I will miss nursing Faye so very much. I am already missing it now that I'm in the middle of this weaning implementation. Trust me. It is very difficult for the mommy's heart as much as it is for my baby girl. I couldn't stop telling her that I love her even though I look so evil in her eyes, refusing her her comfort. She has so many questions in her eyes that I wished we never have to go through this the hard way.

Nursing her came very naturally as soon as she was born unlike Ewan [Nursing The Dragon, Milking The Chick]. I didn't have mastitis nor sore nipples. It was very pleasant an experience from the very beginning.

I am sorry we have to put our breastfeeding journey behind Faye. I am going through a lot of struggles, even now, as I make this decision. Let's work this out together, shall we?

Edit [11.04.16] :: Faye is successfully weaned off the breast on the third day. The first and second days were the biggest struggle. I used distraction methods like turning on music that she likes or showing her a short video clip on the phone if she asked for milk. The nights were easy because the room is totally darkened and she could fall asleep on her own [with me lying next to her of course].

However, the afternoon naps were a huge problem because the room was bright. She cried for more than an hour each day as she fought with my decision to stop nursing. When I tried to carry her, she  screamed and arched her back. When I tried to rock her to sleep, she wailed and tried to throw herself out of my arms. When I put her down on the bed, she cried even harder. Eventually, I let her cry while I laid beside her. It was as heart-wrenching for her as it was for me. I thought she might fall asleep from all those crying but she did not even after an hour of screaming. Day Three was a Saturday and I was sure it would take longer than three days to wean her off. Surprisingly, all was well from the third day! She understood me! She understood mommy isn't gong to nurse her anymore! Just like that, all she asked for was for me to lie next to her.

She still woke in the middle of the night crying for me. Instead of clawing my top off to reach her milk source, she patted onto the pillow next to her and told me, "Mommy sleep here." I rested my head on her pillow and she drifted back to lala-land. I was impressed by her ability to adapt and change. It seems that perseverance is the key to success. I have tried several times before this but always succumbed to nursing after a few cries. She learnt that crying will break this mommy. This time, Mommy 1 - 0 Faye.

The feeling is bittersweet.


Like Us on Facebook if you enjoyed the read!
A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

  1. i used distraction when our #3 asked for milk and i don't feel like latch her in public.
    so far worked well.

    it's not a easy process to wean off, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you! I am thankful we succeeded by the third day!

      Delete
  2. I envy you May! �� I'm only in my 3rd month of breastfeeding journey and sometimes I do feel like quitting. The sleep deprivation and stiff neck and all .... All sounds too familiar. But my latest baby is such an angel. Couldn't bear to stop now. Hehe! - Afni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aiyo Afni! I really wonder why no one tells us all about the pains of breastfeeding like mastitis, engorgement, sleepless nights, aching bodies! hahaha But I know what you mean! I am missing it already and sometimes wish I could just give in! U go girl!

      Delete
  3. Your post got me reminiscing with my breastfeeding journey with K and G. Yes, ending it is bittersweet. Number 1 specifically motivated me to wean because I cannot be sleep deprived and report to work the next day, every.single.day! My boss could have eventually killed me for working like a zombie! Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I was more motivated to wean Ewan than Faye because of sleep deprivation. Then again, it's the same thing that drove me to wean Faye but this time, I took a lot longer to say goodbye because I know I am going to miss it a whole lot!

      Delete
  4. So sweet of Faye 'Mommy sleep here.', it takes a strong heart to wean off breastfeeding.. Thumbs up for you. Heartfelt post, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really takes a lot of courage to wean breastfeeding. I've tried many times but failed because my heart was not determined enough. Today, when we've succeeded, I still feel a tad sad.

      Delete
  5. I totally understand how you feel. I think it was harder for me (emotionally) to wean Lauren than it was for her. Yay to sleeping through the night again!

    Michelle @ The Chill Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am waking up a lot more energised every morning now =)

      Delete
  6. Gosh.. my 2nd born has just turned 3 and I am still breastfeeding him!! My eldest self wean at 18 mths old, so I had been waiting for the 2nd one to self wean too (of cos I throw on some encouragements, some discouragement and even some threats haha). But I simply buay tahan his demands especially since we all Co sleep! Hopefully he will self wean like his brother but I am sure when that day come, I will feel emotional and stunned. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah I was afraid that self-weaning might take 5 years later leh. That is why I decided to work on this wean. You jia you! Let us know when he finally stops!

      Delete
  7. I think I commented on your FB page regarding this post but I'm going to say it again! This post makes me feel sad too as it reminded me on the days where I had to wean Alexis off because I got pregnant when she was only 8 months old. There were people who breastfed through pregnancy (this was what I had intended!) but my gynae advised me to stop as it causes the uterus to contract and may cause miscarriage.

    Now, with #3, I wanted to *try* to nurse Alexis back, but she has since stopped for the past 10 months and she doesn't want my boobs anymore. :( I hope I can nurse #3 for a longer period of time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah Comment here in future, then you don't have to "do it again" hehe Oh yes breastfeeding does cause the uterus to contract isn't it? But there are also a lot of strong mommies out there who could do it and their babies turn out fine. I am sure though, with complicated pregnancies, it should be avoided.

      Delete
  8. I have heard some kids don't let the breastfeeding stop till 2 years of age! No personal experience though. Good that your daughter was weaned off soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some kids do not let breastfeeding stop even at 5! haha But you know, I do miss it now already....

      Delete
  9. Big pat on your back May for making this tough decision and sticking by it. Proud of Faye for adapting so quickly and I'm very sure your bond will not lessen in any way. In fact, a well-rested Mommy will have more energy to engage and entertain her and koko throughout the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sob sobs sobs... bittersweet. I tried many times but failed many times too because I was half-hearted about it. I always give in and that made us both happy actually. But the day finally came when I became too exhausted. Yes yes.. a more energetic mom will benefit everyone.

      Delete
  10. I weaned off Kaira around 2 years and yes I was sleep deprived with getting up at 6 for my primary goer.
    My post is still lying in the.draft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah Get that draft done and published!!!

      Delete
  11. Lil Pumpkin was weaned off around 2.5 years old. You're right, it's a bittersweet feeling but something that has to come eventually. If you feel that it's time, trust your instincts. I'm glad that even though the first 2 days was hell, she took to it pretty fast!

    Ai @ Sakura Haruka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nods nods I am soooooo glad she adapted so quickly. Everyone in the family were speculating a week or more!

      Delete
  12. Too cute it is. I like the title you have put for your blog here. It is something different. Hoping more from you here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for leaving a note because it made me read this post again =)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts