The Making of #mmlittle家 - Ewan's Room


When I was planning for Ewan's room, I knew I wanted it monochrome. Yet, I didn't want to deprive him of a boring black and white space that is too adult for his age. A brilliant idea struck! The Dark Knight is monochrome! Batman it is then.

I did not ask the children for their opinions when designing their rooms. Seriously, I would come to a designing block [dead-end] if he requested for a Hulk vs Ironman theme. Oh I am definitely not going down that route. Not especially if my daughter is to suggest a Hello Kitty or Frozen theme.

Ewan loves his room. He was ecstatic when he saw it and went, "Every morning when I wake up and see Batman in front of me, I will go WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW!"

WALLS
There are no wallpapers in Ewan's room unlike Faye's. I created two feature walls for him, one on each level, with the help of Nippon Paint's professional painters.

The wall along the staircase was painted three-quarters in black with an unfinished look. I requested for it to be painted as such because I liked how it can be visualised as buildings in Gotham City. We usually see rectangular blocks with yellow lights in Batman themed rooms to depict the city but I thought that's passé and slightly childish. I was hoping to create something that has longevity. Even when Ewan has outgrown Batman [actually, he's never quite a Batman fan], we can still recreate his rooms without re-painting the walls.

Owl Bliss has the perfect props to put this together cleverly. The Super Hero Mask Wall Decal and Super Hero Mask Wall Hook found their place above the "buildings" and the wall hook pops with a 3-dimensional effect in the sea of Batman decals. Enter "MMLITTLEE" at check-out for 20% off all purchases at Owl Bliss, ending 31 December 2017.


The other feature wall boosts a geometric look, parted diagonally into halves. Three colours from Nippon Paint's colour swatch were chosen: White, Silhouette Gray and Stylish Gray. I decided to bring over the wall decals from our old place and had them pasted on the white part of the design. What's a wall without a decorative? The rain cloud hanger [from Oh Happy Fry] we owned came along with us too and I had it 3M-ed lest it damaged the wall!



STAIRCASE
The original staircase was made of laminate and the finishing was poor. The edges were sharp and we forsee him tumbling down the stairs when he fumbles to the toilet in the middle of the night. We decided to have it carpeted. In black no less. It will fit beautifully, giving the wall a seamless blend onto the floor.


Still, it isn't safe without a night light and no, I cannot live with those tacky Batman night lights selling in Amazon or Carousell. Thankfully, we recalled we bought an outdoor ambient ball light for our patio at the previous place that would fit perfectly!

The ball allows for nine colour changes and just for this shoot, Ewan chose the red.

It illuminates the whole stairway in the night and I'm glad to announce that no child had tripped and fell since we moved in.



BEDROOM
We decided that Ewan will sleep on the upper deck. This lucky boy got himself an almost Queen Sized bed for his mattress! Oh what luxury of space for him to toss and turn while he sleeps every night. Ikea has many different options for sizes and there was one that fit perfectly upstairs - a 140x200cm foam mattress.

No bed, just a mattress on the upper deck with lots of pillows!

The wall above his bed was plain. Daddy said to leave it as it is but Mommy cannot live without more clutter. I don't know but clutter can be artistic too. Clutter makes a space cosier. To me at least! So I took my time to shop and when I found the right props to put together, I piece them together on his wall like a jigsaw puzzle.

GEOMETRIC BOOK SHELF - from 3LittlePicks and I bought all three designs and had them lined up vertically. I’m thinking storybooks, magazines or maybe a plant with a hanging vine? Oh but it’s gotta be fake because plants produce carbon dioxide at night right? Not the best thing to sleep with.

LITTLE DREAMER PRINT - from 3LittlePicks, illustrated by Little Rae Prints. I fell in love with it when I laid eyes on him! He is Batman! He is Catboy! He is Flash! He is a boy dreaming of saving the world with his cape. He is so Ewan.

LET THE DAYS COUNT - from 3LittlePicks too! It’s perfect next to the calendar, reminding us always to not found the days and make them count instead.

MONOCHROME CALENDAR - from @bragmehome, a 75x55cm replica of the Stendig at a fraction of the price. It works well enough for us and perfect tool to teach Ewan how to read a calendar.

BLACK PICTURE LEDGE - from Ikea costs only S$7.50. The one I placed Don’t Count The Days on is my favourite shelving alternative for picture books too!

MONOCHROME BEDDING - from Pocket Pig Diary. They have added a whole new range of beddings, blankets and home accessory to the store! Quote "mmlittleeppd10" for 10% off with a minimum purchase of S$40 at the store until 31 Dec 2017.



PLAYROOM
The lower deck of his room, the area when he enters - that's where he plays. I decluttered so much from the move that we've contained all his toys within the wardrobe space provided.

We recently rented a Korg LP380 [I deliberately went to search for a slim one to fit this space] and it is now sitting handsomely in front of his geometric feature wall. Ewan's really quite cute when I shot him in this photo. He put on his Superman mask and was posing for the camera when I said, "Just pretend to play the piano."

"Huh? Play the piano? But if I do that, you cannot see my face!" he exclaimed.

That's the point son! This is a Batman themed room but you want to wear your Superman mask. Don't match leh! *hahaha*



Like Us on Facebook if you enjoyed the read!
A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

Popular Posts