Gardens By The Bay: Dahlia Dreams

Media Invite

Gardens by the Bay is ushering in the Year of the Monkey with Dahlia Dreams. This concept is inspired by the classic tale, Journey to the West and runs from 15 January 2016 till the end of February.


I've been to every GBTB story-telling installation last year and they were absolutely impressive. My hopes for Dahlia Dreams were high and I expected nothing less than getting dazzled like always. I must give credit to the people behind this expansive setup because the amount of work needed to put together a dome filled with picturesque backdrops at every corner, is really a formidable task. The exquisite blooms of dahlias and begonias are set against a 7-metre-tall mountain with monkeys set high and mighty at the top. When you walk into the mythical "Flowers and Fruit Mountain" (where the legendary Monkey King was said to be born), you will find a "Water Curtain" in the cave. I found this most memorable of the entire dome installation. Other that that, this visit did not impress me much.


Ah and I loved that wooden tavern as well which was barricaded off. I moved that "Work In Progress" signage out of the way just to get this shot. I've got a feeling this little hut will be "Work In Progress" perpetually through Dahlia Dreams. I would think it's a better idea for them to open it up for visitors to enter for photography opportunities. I felt like I've done something really naughty by pushing that sign out of our frame just to get this shot. Right after we were done, the staff replaced the signage with a retractable belt barrier instead. Telling us to keep out.


There are monkey-shaped topiaries with gold and chocolate nuggets for eyes and nose & dried leaves for a face. Their bodies are realistically shaped and covered with greens. I like these monkeys compared to the bark-sculptured monkeys which were rather frightening to look at for little children. Ewan's obviously oblivious because nothing frightens him more than a funny-faced clown. Faye, however, refused to go near them and signed "scared", patting her chest with her palm. Besides these topiaries, there were monkey toys on trees and giant gold ingots as well. These I thought were rather tasteless. Well, personal opinions!


At first sight, I found the circular zodiac signs across the grounds rather repetitive. Almost every mall we go to has these zodiac signages on display. Right right? I wasn't inclined to stand-next-to-our-signs-for-a-picture because that's just ermmm too characterless. But, we did! *haha*

The children decided to do a camera take-over and started shooting the displays with a my camera phone and DSLR. I must say they produced outstanding results especially Ewan with this picture of us! We were standing around innocently when he pointed the camera at us. That's when I went, "Ah ok Ewan. Take a picture for mommy and daddy together with this rooster sign ok?" All he took was one click and he said, "Done."


Since we've got a husband and wife shot with our zodiac, we can't leave without a son and daughter shot with their respective signs. They looked as if there were very cooperative with all our shoots don't they? Behind all these good-looking photographs, were sweat and sheer hard work.


VERDICT: 
Not the best I've seen from Gardens By The Bay but scrolling through the pictures, 
they did turn out quite well! Maybe it should deserve a visit from you after all. 


SPRING SURPRISE EVENTS


Read More Dahlia Dreams From Fellow Bloggers:

Like Us on Facebook if you enjoyed the read!
A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

  1. Indeed, the wooden tavern is nice. Maybe too nice to invite public to sit inside? Not sturdy to take up unknow load?

    Yes, all the photos are very very nice. Faye taking photo of daddy and gorgor is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. I reckon it's not sturdy and only just for show. Sooooo they should do something more "usable"! Hahaha

      Faye taking pic of daddy and gorgor's absolutely hilarious. Loving it that she's moving back so far into the shrubs just to get them into the frame.

      Delete
  2. I am looking forward to our trip to Dahlia Dreams this Thursday... Yasmin is enjoying the shots in this blogpost and she laughed at the photo of Faye taking the shot. She said,"Meimei is so clever to sit on the bush to take a good picture!" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah Yasmin =) enjoy your Dahlia Dreaming!

      Delete
  3. I think Dahlia Dream is worth a trip for lovers. I love the third to the last picture. You have a photographer in the making!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For lovers? Really why so? haha As the saying goes, "Children learn best through imitation."

      Delete
  4. You have trained Ewan so well!! Nice photos! I agree the monkeys are a bit scary! Think Emma would be frightened by them too.. Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha Ewan's a boy who listens to instructions in the first place. Not all the time but at least some bribery will do the trick.

      Delete
  5. Dahlia dreams seems like a must go and the way you click photos makes it a definitely go to enjoy the beauty around. Ewan and Faye traditional outfit is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I guess even when my words are less flattering, the pictures still got Dahlia Dreams sold!

      Delete
  6. How come you had those cute monkeys on the gold ingot?? They went missing when I was there! Haha.. And as cliche as it is to make the kids take photos with their zodiac at every single mall and event, I do it too. LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahah You do too ah? Must do a collage for all that you've collected!

      Delete
  7. the bark-covered monkeys are really quite scary! reminds me of the demons in Constantine movie :P Journey to the West is really so popular this CNY. I think there were at least 3 different shows on the story on TV during the CNY break haha

    Ai @ Sakura Haruka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you mention, I realise Journey to the West had been used several times over this year. Well, no other ideas ma.. Year of the Monkey.

      Delete
  8. Gardens by the Bay comes up with variety of things on different occasions. This theme also looks interesting...But that monkey looks pretty creepy! Your kids are cuties :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I find the monkeys scary too, but quite smart of them to use a dried leaf for the face! Very green (or brown, rather).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your kiddos dressing! so cute! we were there last weekend and I love the dahlia flowers. don't really fancy the wooden monkeys though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how we focus on different things to blog about. I wrote about the decorations while others wrote about the flowers. Put together and they make a great big review for Dahlia Dreams!

      Delete
  11. I didn't like the wooden monkeys too, but everything else, especially the flowers, made up for it! And special mentions to Ewan, I think he took a great photo of you two!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thank you. I think he did a swell job too! Hope they enjoy photography as much as I do =)

      Delete
  12. I love the zodiac photos of your photogenic family!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts