Fathering for the Third Year

My husband received his new title of a Dad since twenty-twelve. That's three years into the job. Relative to a lifetime of responsibility, a résumé of three years is considered "inexperienced" - still a noob! But he got one thing right: "Our children are our business and no one else's. So, do not expect anyone to do your job exactly the way you would as a parent."

I must say he walked the talk thus far. He takes full responsibility of the welfare of our family, worries for us (sometimes too much) and tirelessly gives the best to his children. Just a couple of days ago, he said the sweetest thing to Ewan.

"Ok Son. 
I will do anything 
to make you happy."

We were staycationing at a hotel in RWS. It was a treat from my father-in-law but a treat less desirable. The bed was too soft, the floor felt dirty, the bathroom was sandy and the interior were falling apart from wear and tear. Meyer was looking forward to cutting short the stay because our home is more comfortable than that particular 5-star hotel. He sounded his son out about the possibility of going home and all he got was a screeching retaliation. Guess what? We stayed both nights - anything to see his son beam in delight.

We checked out of the hotel on a Friday at 0730 hours because daddy needed to head into work. We woke at 0630 hours, hurried the little ones along, took them out for breakfast and sent the big boy to school. I was knackered by the afternoon from a full morning of laundry, unpacking, cooking and caring. Lucky me, I got to nap with the children for three hours while poor dad was slogging through his day in the office despite feeling as exhausted as I was.

I had to do something to brighten up our daddy bear's day! Coming home should always be a highlight and not a dread. I planned a little surprise for him and I was feeling all excited about it myself! Thank goodness we woke up before he returned *haha*

I pasted a balloon and a hand-made card at our door. Then I filled the bubble machine to the brim because I know I can get Ewan to do ANYTHING with bubbles as my bribe. "You want Bubbles? Sit Here and Smile. When daddy comes through that lift, you shout, HAPPY FATHER'S DAY! okay?" Of course I got an Okay. Mommies know best how to manipulate their little ones *hiaks hiaks*



But the timing! How can I get the timing right? I've got Find My Friends app! Oh it was a life-saver. I get to see where he is 24/7 (vice versa). Tracking the husbands sound terrifying to many but we found this app very handy. I will "Find Him" and time ourselves well enough for him to drive home to see all three of us standing in the lobby waiting to be picked up. When I saw that he was just five minutes away, I hastily pushed the children out of our door and did some practice hollers.

Boy that look on his face when he stepped out of the lift was priceless! He got a shock walking into a bubbleful world and Ewan running to him with a honey-tongued "Happy Father's Day!" made him smile from ear to ear. He received a euphoric welcome!


I must admit that this daddy has his days too. We do not always see eye to eye and sometimes I get very mad at him for being insensitive with his words. Especially things like, "You are the mother! It's your job what!" and "Why do you need a break? What do you mean you are tired working as a full-time mother? I work in the office and come home as daddy as well. Don't I work more?" I tell you, these callous words cut me like a knife. So, don't think my husband is better than yours because mine does comment egoistically like yours too. In spite of that, he still deserves to be pampered by us all *smiles* because we have more gracious-daddy days than selfish-daddy days.

We started Father's Day just the way daddy would like it. We went to the hawker centre so that he can "oon" his "you jia kueh in teh-o". When we were there, he carried Faye in one arm and braved her through the crowds to five different stalls to get us our breakfasts. Ewan had tau sar bao, I had chee cheong fun and soya bean drink and he had you jia kueh, goreng pisang and teh-o. By the time he reached his fifth stall, he chirped in, "Wah everything you want to eat all long queue. Happy Mother's Day ah Mom. Seems like it's your day hor? It's not Father's Day lah." *hahah* I had a good laugh. Yet, we made him a contented man at breakfast because he got to "oon" his "you jia kueh in teh-o" instead of spending a hundred bux at a fancy breakfast cafe.


Unlike last year's Father's Day when he asked to enjoy his Sunday without any fatherly chores, he made today super productive by playing Best Dad. He skipped his lunch to feed his son his, vacuumed his car, packed the house, cleared the sink, set up a new train track for his children to play with and washed Ewan's crocs! *Phwah* I don't know what got into him but he busied himself through the day with chores.


As I write this, he is indulging in me-time with his tele and a cup of tea. It took him two and half years, with much encouragement, to step out of the house to find his me-time in tennis and bowling. My husband used to play all kinds of sports and had put them on permanent halt since I was pregnant with our first child. He gets guilt-strickened whenever he leaves me alone at home to handle the children. I feel so fortunate that he doesn't find the need to go out on boys' nights and when he does, he makes sure he helps me settle as many chores as possible before heading out. If I was struggling, I know he will cancel whatever's on schedule and stayed home to support.

Your gifts this Father's Day proved to be well-loved! A hand-made card and terrarium from Ewan, working shoes from mommy and Faye chipped in funky laces for your TGIF work days. Thank you and I know we don't say it all the time but we appreciate you! Ah... but don't get big-headed now okay? We must always strive to be better daddies, mommies and spouses.


p.s. hubby, I would like some me-time outside the house too ya? Please indulge me! I've been having too many me-times in the toilets liao. Not healthy! And smelly... *haha*

Read Also:
First Father's Day 2013
Second Father's Day 2014

Like Us on Facebook if you enjoyed the read!
A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

  1. What a sweet surprise for your husband! I guess when a man feels appreciated, that's when he is willing to give even more, hence the super daddy mode on Father's Day, haha! Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOoooooOOooo Michelle. I see! Hahah Thanks for enlightening from a third person's view!

      Delete
  2. So sweet lar! The card and the bubbles, awwwww. Hahaha i loled at the oon you jia kueh, too cute. Love the simple but meaningful and filled with love gifts you all gave him, he's a very blessed daddy and u are a very loved mummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Father's Day is returning! I've got to come up with some other appreciative surprises. Creative juices! Where are you!

      Delete
  3. Aiyo sooooo sweet!!! Your husband is one lucky man! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he thinks the same of himself! *haha*

      Delete
  4. I can buy 4D if my Mrs so sweet :)
    Marriage is all about give and take, and we are still working on it even after 4 kids haha :)

    cheers, Andy
    (SengkangBabies.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wah don't say like that of the Mrs leh! She got 4 to run after leh. I only got 2. When I have 4, I wouldn't even remember it's Father's Day maybe!

      Delete
  5. I've not heard that "oon you jia kueh" phrase for a very long time! Haha, you made me laugh!

    Please blog about this year's Father's Day surprise ok? Looking forward to your creative surprises (:

    Mary @ Simply Lambchops

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah Mary! I just went shopping this morning to BUY EVERYTHING I need for this year's Father's Day!

      Delete
  6. hi May, your hubby is so supportive always attending media stuff with you and being so game as a husband + Dad.
    And also, I didn't know there's a "Find your friend" (or Hubby) app! LOL

    PS. The terrarium damn pro standard!

    Cheers!
    Veron Zhen
    http://www.mumzilla.sg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You went to read the Terrarium post Veron? So supportive! Thank you =) Although he's been attending events with me and I've been to many, why haven't we met yet! *haha* So there. Now you know you can track your hubby =)

      Delete
  7. So sweet and cute... The video shows it all.
    Simple but warms the heart with thoughtful gifts. I love your last part most, I truly understand from a SAHM of two kids.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you =) I think he has indulged me [and so had the children after they both went to pre-school] with a lot more me-time from the start of 2016 =)

      Delete
  8. Omg the bubble machine! I think my kids will also give in to whatever I want with THAT machine! Hehehe. Looking forward to your fourth Father's Day post in a few weeks! :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah I know right? Bubble Machines are the best!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts